Friday, December 21, 2007

My English Final

So for my English 111 final we had to choose a topic and write a one page paper on it. The topics were Describe the Ideal World, Define the Ideal Parent, and Argue in Favor of or Against Final Exams. I chose to describe the ideal world.

When I started to write I imagined a neon-light filled city that towered high above the clouds. Flying cars racing back and forth, transferring happy citizens to and fro. Whenever I imagine such a futuristic city I always imagine the citizens to be devoid of any personality and blankly stare into the night thinking of nothing in particular. I think it may be my exposure to such works as Fahrenheit 451, where individuality was abolished and considered a felony. These worlds are always dark and gray, bleak and cold. But I tried to envision a world full of lush, green foliage and brought that into my second paragraph.

Leading on, my mind wandered. Once I hit the third paragraph my brain was stewing with negativity. This world just couldn't be perfect, it had to have some sort of underlying agenda. Some wicked person to act as the steam that drove the turbines of this happy, little world. That's when the dichotomy started to show in my writing. This evil brought forth a sense of urgency to this society, a reason for them to band together and overcome its onslaught. That's when it was realized that no world can be perfect, for no man is perfect. Everyone has a sense of wickedness about them. And thus that's how I filled my final body paragraph.

Once I reached the end of my paper I couldn't find a suitable way to conclude. I summed up the main parts but it just didn't feel like it had a solid ending. The first version ended on "...this world of infinite dreams can become real in everyone's heart." But that was just too easy. Why should this paper end on a positive note when the last half dealt with the doppelganger of human nature? I struggled a bit to find a suitable end note, and found it when I thought back to my previous paper I handed in. The paper was on the Mars Direct program and how we, as human beings, need to come together and explore the desolate red planet. That's when it hit me - This city of Escape was a planet-city. A city in the scope of HUEG (liek Xbox). And this city was what Earth had to become, because Earth was no more. Earth had become what we feared the most, a dead planet devoid of any sign of life. A planet heated to mind-boggling extremes and baked to a hard crust. All thanks to the mindlessness of humans.

However, I feel this story brings about a sense of hope. For if the society of Escape had learned to deal with their inner demons, they could bring about a time of true peace. And perhaps, one day, we as human beings can bring forth this same time, without sacrificing our planet in the process.

The following is my paper in its entirety:


Escape to Home

The sounds of harmonious cacophony fill the air in the city of Escape. Neon hues fill the skyline and beam forth images of hope and peace. Injustice abolished, giving way to love and dreams. In this world of plenty every man, woman and child are free to truly become what their destiny holds in front of them. Pain and suffering; words unknown to this immaculate society. The ideal world is a world of infinite possibilities, a world where all is sacred.

Inside their homes, the citizens of this planet decorate with a rather unique, yet impossibly familiar decor. The outside follows them in, the inside becomes out and yet everything makes perfect sense. These acolytes are at home in the world that weaned them, entwined in the vines of patience and maturity. The serene vista that is the rain forest, minus the pests of course, becomes a baby's playpen. The denizens here are truly at home in their home, the hospice of everyone's one true mother.

The mother that gives also knows when to take. She can see the future, for she is the future. A being of no words, yet feared for her mighty tone. The hope of all mankind lies solely in her hands and justice is redeemed only by her wrath. The world of Escape knows of its boundaries which lay bluntly in sight, yet ghostly and unseen. This world appreciates the gift of life and would do everything to protect and nourish such a splendid gift. Yet inside all this love there lies one true demon.

For you see, there can be no perfect world. Corruption and lies, deceit and trickery are always on the tip of the serpent's forked tongue. His mother brought him life yet he is so quietly poisoning her very core. This gift of hope imbued in all of us is but a teardrop in a sea of broken dreams that were corrupted by the devil himself. Only after realizing the nature of this horrid beast can Escape become free and pure. Oh, what dichotomy! What a perplexing tale this mother has written! For they must expunge this evil from the land, without becoming evil thyselves.

The ideal world, free of harm and hate. The world of Escape, full of love and kindness. How can a world of perfection become so impure? One foul act can only lead to another and spiral out of control. But if hope is held and kept pure at heart, this world of infinite dreams can become real in everyone's heart. Possibilities abound and perfection holds true all by the grace of this perfect little sphere, floating in a mire of inky darkness. This perfect little world called Escape, the perfect little sister to which all of Earth had to become.

No comments: